Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Gotta Love Cali

I doubt I'll ever live in California, despite the beautiful landscape and picture-perfect weather. It always amazes me when judges attempt to dictate from the bench, as opposed to letting lawmakers create laws based on what citizens support (based on voting, etc). This case is a perfect example. Don't get me wrong; artificial insemmination of gays is not my issue. My issue is FORCING a physician to do something he feels violates his religious beliefs. The court has decided that the rights of the gay couple to not be discriminated are more important than the rights of the physician with regards to religion.

Why not put it to a vote?

Oh yea, and forcing a physician to do something is not anything I'd ever do. Think about it.

Patient: Doc, I want you to perform a procedure on me you disagree with on personal/religous grounds.

Doc: That's not a good idea. Why don't we send you to someone that actually wants to perform said procedure.

Patient: No, you need to do it. And if you don't, I'm going to sue you.

Doc: Not only do I disagree with the procedure on blah blah grounds, I don't take kindly to threats.

Patient: Tough. Do it or else.

Doc: Hmm....I'm sure we can perform your open roux-en-y gastric bypass with minimal local anesthetic and a single percocet. Enjoy.